Friday, May 21, 2010

Cross Pollination

I like golf. I like to write about golf. I also like food..specifically burgers...and I like to write about that as well. Since I really don't have anything golf related to write about this week, I'm going to write about burgers. In particular 2 burger joints worth visiting.

6710 Old Dominion Drive McLean Va

My buddy Jody, a fellow burger aficionado, and I first hit up Joe's a little over a year ago as part of our never ending burger quest (you can visit his burger blog HERE). At the time, Joe's was a little hole in the wall located on Old Dominion Drive. When I say it was a little hole in the wall, I mean it was tiny. With seating for around 20, Joe's was always packed. The menu was small but eclectic -- everything from the basic bacon cheddar burger to venison to waygu (aka Kobe beef). My burger came topped with chorizo sausage. It was good...very very good. So when Joe's moved to a bigger place right next door, I was excited. I went out there for lunch one day, but for whatever reason, the burgers were just not as good as they were at the smaller place. The burgers were still good...they just weren't great. They weren't spectacular. They weren't special. I love small local burger joints, and Joe's step backwards made me sad. I'm happy to say after my last visit Joe's wasn't just back up to the level of my first visit, it went beyond! They've really honed in on the "gourmet" in Joe's Gourmet Burgers, and it was special once again.

For a starter we got the chili fries...and after our table devoured the first order, we dialed up a second. Simply fantastic. The chili was the perfect Cincinnati consistency to serve as a topping (Chili will always be a condiment in my book), and the fries were crispy all the way through -- no one got stuck with that soggy fry way down at the bottom.

We then called up an order of THE BEST onions rings I've ever had. For real real....not for play play. The batter was crispy and light - and didn't mask the sweetness of the onion. I ate one. Then I ate another. Then I noticed some chili remaining at the bottom of the fry bowl...so I grabbed another onion ring and ran it through the chili. It was good....oh so good. It was at this point that our waiter came around to take our burger order. Oh &$*#....burgers!!!

I ordered the "Al's Numero Uno" burger, topped with smoked Gouda, a "white bbq sauce", and more of those fantastic onion rings. It was everything a burger should be. Beef was juicy, with just a hint of pepper other seasonings...nothing too overpowering to take away from the savory flavor of beef. The white bbq sauce was more of a smoky mayo, but it complimented the burger well. The onion rings, well, I don't think I can say enough of how good these were. Joe's is a must visit if you're in the mood for a good burger.

















11922 Democracy Drive, Reston VA

The counter is actually a franchise with locations scattered throughout the US -- and abroad with locations in Australia and Ireland. It's a "concept" burger joint, in many ways a contemporary version of "Johnny Rockets" but far more upscale. When you walk in, the first thing you notice is that nostalgic 60's burger joint feel, with patrons sitting at a counter, enjoying burgers and shakes. The second thing you notice is the full bar located directly behind the counter. I should mention the Counter serves "adult shakes." Yum.

The ordering concept is based on a "build your own burger" theme, but the options go far beyond "lettuce, tomato, and cheese." How far beyond? How about 12 varieties of cheese, grilled pineapple, pepperoncinis , green chilies...tzatziki sauce??? Why not!!!

Here's the great thing about this place. My girlfriend's food allergy makes it difficult for us to find places to eat out. Generally our options are limited to vegan restaurants (dairy allergy makes her quasi vegan) or salad bars. You cannot believe how often we've ordered a meal with specific instructions "no butter...I have an allergy," only to see a big ol' lump of butter on the plate. It makes it difficult to trust people, and it makes it even more difficult to find a good burger place (butter is pretty much everywhere). After telling our waiter of my girlfriends allergy, the waiter called over the manager, who personally brought over several sheets of paper identifying every item on the menu with the corresponding dietary restrictions. Without any hassle or embarrassment she knew exactly what she wanted...and so did I. Bacon? Tillamook Cheddar? BBQ Sauce? Yup...that seems like a good test of a burger establishment!

If you're into burgers you know that Ray's Hell Burger is the benchmark. Ray's is flat out the best burger in the Washington / Northern Virginia / Southern Maryland area. Maybe. I'm not prepared to call the Counter's burger a winner, but it gives Ray's a run for the money. It's in the same class - and that is saying A LOT! I need to set up a back to back tasting between Ray's and the Counter, because this really does go down to a taste photo finish. The Counter's burger was juicy...oh so juicy. Cooked exactly as I ordered (medium rare, red but not raw) with a sweet bbq sauce. Just as with Joe's burger, the Counter's burger was peppery, but not over seasoned, allowing the full savory meat flavor to permeate my palate. And thick!! I ordered the 2/3 lbs burger, not realizing the weight is measured AFTER cooking!! I was stuffed!!! How were the sides? Solid. We ordered up some shoe string fries (they also server sweet potato fries) and they were great. We did not but did not opt for the the chili topping, which may have been a tactical mistake. The dudes at the next table ordered the chili cheese fries...and they looked GOOD (I will have to go back).



So there you go, 2 must visits for the burger enthusiast. Both great local spots, and both should be ranked high on any burger list. Just go there and eat a burger. Then play some golf or something....I don't care. I'm hungry. I want another burger.....dammit.....

~Saps

No comments:

Post a Comment